- Consultant to a diverse range of Operators and Service Companies
- Member of Technical Advisory Team for the Center for Deep Earth Exploration, Japan
- Member of Scientific Advisory Committee for the DrillWell Strategic Research Institute, Norway
- Member of Harts Meritorious Engineering Award committee
- Author of more than 60 technical papers and articles
- Member of SPE Drilling Conference Program Committee
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
- Member of SPE Board of Directors with special responsibility for Drilling and Completions 2001-2004.
- Promoted revision of the Advanced Drilling Engineering Textbook, subsequently published, and facilitated formation of the Well Positioning Technical Section and Drilling Systems Automation Technical Section.
- Programme Committee for more than 12 conferences, presently member of SPE/IADC Conference programme committee
- Member of Editorial Review Committee 1988 to present, Review Chairman 2008. Responsible for clearing backlog of 62 technical papers in early 2008
- Chairman of the Drilling Automation Technical Section 2008-2010.
- Chairman of SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Amsterdam, 2001.
- Instigated revival of SPE Sakhalin Section, 2006
- Distinguished Lecturer 1989
- Chairman of SPE Publications Co-ordinating Committee - 1997
- Chairman of 1998 SPE Annual Technical Meeting Drilling Technology Committee
- Chairman or committee member of multiple SPE Forum meetings 1992 - 2006
- Chairman of the Eastern Hemisphere Forum Series Implementation Committee, 1999
SPE AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2006: Outstanding Technical Editor
- 2007: A Peer Apart (having reviewed over 200 technical papers)
- 2008: Exceptional Service to Peer Review (clearing backlog of 62 technical papers)
- 2009: Drilling Engineering Award, North Sea Region
- 2009: Aberdeen Section Award, Contributions to SPE and Industry
- 2011: SPE International Drilling Engineering Award